Sunday, December 04, 2005

Vindication

This gem was in the NYT Sunday edition.

I've been critical of the wikipedia idea all along, only to be reassured that the feedback loop that accompanies a dumb network like that would go a long ways toward ensuring that bad information wasn't disseminate d on the net as truth. Now, a real-world example of someone who has been wronged by the almighty wiki.

I respect this Seigenthaler guy, and the way he handled the bad information. The original poster who said he was involved in the JFK assassination made their post anonymously -- another feature of wikipedia I don't especially like -- and it would have taken quite a court battle to find out the identity of the poster. As I argued in my law paper this fall -- and the Delaware Suporeme Court agreed with me in Cahill v. John Doe -- people who post material on the internet should have the right to remain anonymous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home